Sunday 11 December 2011

Hollywood.

Sometimes it's weird to realize that I really AM in Hollywood. I know I have lived here for quiet a while now, but it still appears strange to me. This is Hollywood. This is the Capitol of filmmaking. I am right here. This huge, slightly weird, but still in a way normal city is IT.
Tonight I had movie night with Debora. If you wanna be in the Industry KNOW the Industry, so basically what we did tonight was research. First we went and saw 'Shame' - heavy. DP work is quiet good, although I would change a few shots, but when wouldn't I... It's really heavy, but good. I think you should see it, but be prepared for it to be nothing that you would have expected:


Then we wanted to watch something else, nothing was playing at the ArcLight so we went to see the Christmas Wonderland at the Grove before we decided to watch 'My week with Marilyn'. I have to say that I am amazed by Michelle Williams performance. She was brilliant, I wouldn't have believed that someone could play Marilyn Monroe the way she did. It was fascinating. This is a movie to watch if you want to know more about who Marilyn Monroe was. Not the Character she played for the public, but the real she. It was fascinating to see how much it covered what I have just read in Arthur Millers 'After the fall'. And the ensemble of good actors in 'My week with Marilyn' is quiet astonishing. Well, we also have Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan in 'Shame' two of the most fascinating actors to watch.


The two movies are just completely different. I'm glad I was able to see them.
Finishing up for today, I'm going to put a Quote from Francis Ford Coppola, what he said to one of his assistants on the set of 'The Godfather':
"So you still want to direct films? Always remember three things. Have the definite script ready before you shoot. There'll always be some changes, but they should be small ones. Second, work with people you trust and feel secure with. Remember good crew people you've worked with on other films and get them for your film. Third, make your actors feel very secure so they can do their job well." - pauses for a moment - "I've managed to do none of these things on this film"

Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment